Our experienced accident lawyers answer your questions

Often we’re asked specific questions about the problems or concerns that our clients may encounter when dealing with personal injury law. For quick reference, we’ve listed some of those frequently asked questions below. Have a question that’s not on this page? Call us anytime at 1-800-928-5486, or fill out the contact form and we will reply within 24 hours.

When should I get a lawyer for my case?

It is important, although not necessary, to obtain legal counsel quickly following an accident. The team at Seattle Injury Law performs scene investigations following accidents, interviews witnesses while memories are fresh, and connects with insurance companies before they have the chance to connect with you. 

If this time has passed, and your case isn’t new, but with the three-year statute of limitations, call us at once so that we can get started before the time to recover for your injuries passes by.

How much is my case worth?

This is perhaps the most common question we get at the firm, and the answer is always the same: it depends. Every case is unique, just as every person is unique, down to their DNA. Your case will have its own specific DNA, and it shouldn’t be lumped in with other cases. While we can estimate a range of values that your case falls into, no lawyer can accurately answer this question until they’ve dug into the file at length. 

We promise to work your case as hard as possible, ensuring the best financial and monetary income possible, and feel confident saying that your case is in the best hands when it’s in our hands. Call us today for a free case analysis and learn our honest thoughts on your case’s merits and values.

How long do I have to file my claim?

The State of Washington law provides for three (3) years to settle your claim or file a lawsuit. There are some exceptions, however. Claims for minors carry a statute that extends until the injured minor turns 21 years old, and claims made under the uninsured or underinsured policy provisions carry a statute of six (6) years.

Does your office speak Spanish? Se Habla Espanol?

Yes! Si! Our office has staff on hand that speak Spanish, and many other languages. We help people of all nationalities and from all walks of life. We would be happy to help you today.

What insurance coverages should I carry on my auto policy?

The law mandates that you carry liability insurance of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident- however, this only covers the people that you would injure in the unfortunate event of an at-fault accident. 

Many people don’t know that without “first party”coverages, you will be left unable to recover anything if you are struck by a vehicle that doesn’t carry insurance. As a reminder, Washington is ranked 13th in the nation in terms of uninsured drivers, meaning there is a good chance that the driver who strikes you won’t have insurance of their own to cover you. What now? 

It is critical to call your insurance agent to be sure you carry uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. We recommend that you carry policy limits of at least $250,000 per person and $500,000 per accident. This coverage is cheap. Countless times, we run into issues where our client’s damages are much higher than the available insurance proceeds to collect from. This limits our client’s ability to be compensated fairly for the damage that has been done to them, and it’s an easy problem to avoid. Call your insurance carrier today for a free review of your coverages. 

The second coverage we recommend strongly is called PIP coverage, which stands for “Personal Injury Protection”. This coverage is a bank of money, usually sold in $10,000 and $35,000 increments, which pays your medical bills as they are being incurred, preventing any chance from you having to pay health insurance co-pays as you, the victim, receives healthcare that will improve your condition and help document your case. In the event that you don’t carry health insurance coverage, PIP will prevent any chance of your medical bills up to that policy amount going to collections.

My children were with me in the accident- should I take them to the doctor?

YES! Often-times children are more scared than in pain immediately following an accident, but it is important to have your kids examined by a medical professional to ensure they aren’t suffering from any complications as a result of the collision. Pain is just one indicator of an injury, and we recommend that victims of motor vehicle collisions see a doctor as soon as they can following an accident, whether at the hospital, through their family physician, or in a walk in clinic.

I’m not in pain, but my arms, hands, legs, and feet are numb. Should I see a doctor?

YES! The symptoms of numbness and tingling, especially into the extremities, are classic radicular signs of a serious disc issue in the neck or back. It is critical to be examined by a physician, and preferable that you undergo an MRI, which will help tell the story of what’s going on.

What is a “gap in care”?

A gap in care is a term that the insurance industry created that describes a lapse in when the accident occurred and when you first seek care, or the time between your last doctors appointment and your following appointment. These can be problematic in your case, because they open the door for the insurance carrier to argue that the return to care, or the initial visit, is due to some other event other than the accident. Gaps in care can be dangerous to your case, and we recommend that you call our office early on so that your case can be managed in a proactive way that will lead to a positive resolution.

Can I handle my case by myself without at attorney?

Every year, people across the country settle their claims on their own without involving an attorney. It is, however, proven year in and year out through the insurance companies’ own data and studies that they pay many times more on cases when personal injury attorneys are involved. Although the case may seem straightforward, there are several key value drivers and strategic moves that a skilled personal injury car accident attorney can and will make that will impact your case greatly. All biases aside, wouldn’t it make sense to talk to an injury attorney for free?

Our Team is ready to help you with your case. Reach to any of our locations via email!

We have 5 convenient locations serving all throughout the Pacific Northwest. We have recovered millions from cases no one wants to take on. Contact Seattle Injury Law for more.